Tuesday, April 7, 2009

What is type?

So moving to a new place is pretty scary and exciting at the same time. No matter your career, hopes, dreams, job, yadda yadda, you get the ability to reestablish yourself. That's great!!... except when it comes to being an actor. Growing up in the same area (SoCal) all my life has definitely helped me with networking in LA and Orange County... but it's a whole different ball game here. You have to go in ready to present a package and hope that is what casting is looking for. I feel very blessed to have been given the opportunity to play so many DIFFERENT roles at UCI and in the LA circuit, but now I have a hard time putting together "my package." I have played the comic relief to the sweet ingenue, the belter to soprano, the Puerto Rican to Blonde, and the woman to the teen. So when staring at my resume... WHAT THE HECK AM I!?!? Everyone has their own opinions and observations. With that being said, I have already found it very interesting auditioning for people who have never seen me before. Is this making sense? I could be rambling but I'll get to the point of this all. I have only been here for 3 weeks, so it's not a big deal (I'm not freaking out haha) but I have had two events where I have been so confused. I got typed out of Bye Bye Birdie because I was too old looking and then I got a callback for Mimi in Rent. huh? haha. I may not be totally clear on my type... but that's pretty funny. BBB was going for real 15 year olds and I totally understand that but Mimi?? It's just so funny when you go into an audition and the one role you would never think you'd be... that's the role the pick you for. Callback went fine, but I think they knew I wasn't the right type when I walked in. haha. It happens. : ) So basically... right now I am trying to figure out what my "type" is. But maybe I don't even need one... haha... who knows... or I could have a bunch.

I guess I just need to be patient with all this stuff. I have always been that type A person who wanted something yesterday instead of just trusting in God. So I'm trying : ) I have an audition for a job next Wednesday for a company called Little Maestros where I get to sing to little children. So fingers crossed for that. Also, looks like I have found a church and a prayer group that is just for actors! yay! So that'll be nice and healing. Speaking about healing, I registered for the MS walk on April 19th and the Aids Walk on May 17th here in NY. I'll post up how you can make donations to the cause soon. I just need to get some more info. I just thought it would be a great way to give back, support a good cause, and something that is emotionally and physically healing. It's very humbling to walk around these streets and see so many people in need of rescue and help. So that is going to be one of my focuses as I continue to audition: give back to others.

So that's the update. Got to go clean my tiny cute apartment.
Love and miss you all
God Bless

No comments:

Post a Comment