Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Painting walls instead of eggs

I'm finally getting settled and things are coming together in the apartment! yay! Ian and I had a wonderful Easter. We went to a charming church on the East Side with friends from college, had brunch with them at Blue Fin (in Times Square), and then went home to paint my walls!! How very festive of us...painting walls instead of eggs. : ) Feels much more like home now after adding some little touches here and there. And I am so so lucky to have such a helpful and handy boyfriend. He has really helped a lot...especially with carrying the heavy things up 5 flights of stairs. : )

I've been seeing a ton of shows here which has been very inspiring and helped keep my eye on the prize. So far we've seen 3 plays: Reasons to be Pretty, August Osage County, and The Philanthropist (with Matthew Broderick). I have never been in love with straight plays but that has definitely changed. All three were absolutely brilliant! We saw an off-bway musical called Rooms tonight which was a funny, touching, entertaining rock musical. And as far as musicals... I have not been let down at all. I've seen South Pacific, Shrek, Little Mermaid, West Side Story, and were seeing Next to Normal on Sunday. Hopefully we will see 9 to 5 (Dolly Parton's new musical) tomorrow, but we have to general rush it so we shall see.

I started taking a class with a casting director from Telsey (one of the big casting directors here in NY) that is a 4 week course where we work on good audition songs and cuts. We had our first class the other night and she is AWESOME! I'm also starting with a new vocal coach tomorrow to work on some material. Just trying to get "a package" together. : ) And you can never stop training! Auditions have been slow, but there are a few at the end of this week so we shall see what happens.

I interviewed for 2 "in the meantime" jobs today and have a callback/2nd interview with both. One is for a company called Little Maestros where we sing and teach toddlers about music, letters, numbers, high fives, and more! It's absolutely adorable!! I auditioned for them and then stayed to watch the classes. They are 45 minutes and like a live Sesame Street type thing (but more hip and not puppets the whole time). I go back on Monday for a callback! Then I also interviewed for a private gym that is only a few avenues away from my house. They have an opening for a front desk position in the evenings which includes a free gym membership! LOVELY! And they are really nice about the fact that I have auditions and so they will be scheduling me for later in the day so they won't conflict. I go back for a 2nd interview on Friday. It'll be nice to just have something to do and not see that savings account go down anymore. : )

Other than all those things, Ian leaves Monday morning (tear) so we're trying to get as many shows in as we can. If you're in NY, he will be in a show (along with the other UCI students on the NY program) on Saturday at the York Theatre. I'm excited to see him in that!! And then Sunday morning is the Walk for MS! And that's a little update on thangs! : )

Hope you are all doing well!
I miss Cali a lot (especially the people and WEATHER!!) : )
But I do love it here a lot.
Cheers!! XOXO

No comments:

Post a Comment